CHAC is a broad-based membership organization of volunteers united in our belief that access to adequate, nutritious and safe food is a fundamental human right.
Background & History
The California Hunger Action Coalition (CHAC) organizes the foremost statewide and regional anti-hunger groups across California. In its 25 years, it has become one of the premier state-based coalitions in the nation, earning major policy victories in the fight to improve the federal safety net in California. CHAC’s signature event, the annual Hunger Action Day held at the height of the California Legislative and Budget session, brings hundreds of advocates, clients and community members from across the state to rally and demand change for those in need.
CHAC’s unique strength is its pooling of collective experience, wisdom and talents of its constituent members; their extended networking; their longstanding status as beacons of trust on anti-hunger issues; their close governmental relationships with many policymakers, staff and lead agencies; simultaneous membership in coalitions located in their respective geographic areas; and the open lines of communication built during many years of working together on collaborative projects.
Please join this effort by:
- Becoming a CHAC member or renewing your membership today.
- Becoming part of the CHAC Steering Committee by contacting our co-chairs (Frank Tamborello or Luis Hernandez Ramirez)
- Participating in Hunger Action Day at the State Capitol in Sacramento.
- Circulating CHAC’s 2017 Legislative Agenda in your community.
Meet the CHAC Steering Committee
Comprised of the most dedicated and tireless group of anti-hunger & anti-poverty advocates from all over the state of California, our steering committee drives the coalition’s priority setting process, legislative agenda, advocate trainings and the planning of Hunger Action Day– the largest anti-hunger advocacy effort in the state!
Current Steering Committee Members reflect the strong statewide collaboration of anti-hunger organizations across California, members include:
· Fresno Metro Ministries, Co-Chair
· California Food Policy Advocates, Co-Chair
· Alameda County Community Food Bank, Hunger Action Day Co-Chair
· California Association of Food Banks, Legislative Committee & Hunger Action Day Co-Chairs
· Community Action Partnership of Orange County, Treasurer
· St. Anthony’s Foundation, Legislative Committee Co-Chair
· California Coalition of Welfare Rights Organizations
· Feeding San Diego
· Hunger Action Los Angeles
· Jewish Family Services of San Diego
· Los Angeles Regional Food Bank
· Los Angeles Community Action Network
· Redwood Empire Food Bank
· Sacramento Regional Coalition to End Homelessness
· San Diego Hunger Coalition